Lacrosse is an intense and fast-paced game. Choosing the right chest protector is essential to ensure maximum protection during play, and to decrease the risk of injury. Selecting the right chest protector might seem overwhelming at first, but by understanding the factors to consider, you can make an informed decision.
In this article, we will discuss the various features to consider while choosing a lacrosse chest protector, so you can pick the best one according to your size, skill level, and budget.
What is a lacrosse chest protector?
A lacrosse chest protector is a piece of equipment worn by lacrosse players to protect their chest, ribs, and spine from impact during the game. It is typically made of foam padding and a hard plastic shell that absorbs and disperses the force of a ball or stick.
The chest protector covers the player’s entire torso, from the collarbone to the waist, and often includes shoulder pads that provide additional protection for the upper arms and shoulders.
Chest protectors are required for all lacrosse players, regardless of their position, and are an important piece of safety equipment. They are designed to reduce the risk of injury from body checks, accidental hits, and stray shots.
What are the different types of lacrosse chest protectors?
Lacrosse chest protectors are an essential piece of equipment for players, providing protection for the chest, ribs, and back. There are several different types of lacrosse chest protectors available, each designed for different levels of play, positions, and player preferences. Here are some of the most common types:
- Goalie Chest Protector: Goalie chest protectors are designed specifically for lacrosse goalies and provide the most protection of any chest protector. They typically have more padding and are larger than other types of chest protectors.
- Attack/Midfield Chest Protector: Attack/midfield chest protectors are designed for players in offensive and midfield positions. They typically have less padding than goalie chest protectors and are more lightweight, allowing for greater mobility and range of motion.
- Defender Chest Protector: Defender chest protectors are designed for players in defensive positions. They typically have more padding and are larger than attack/midfield chest protectors, providing greater protection against checks and impacts.
- Youth Chest Protector: Youth chest protectors are designed for younger players and are typically smaller and lighter than adult chest protectors. They provide adequate protection for young players while allowing for greater mobility and range of motion.
- Women’s Chest Protector: Women’s chest protectors are designed specifically for female players and provide additional padding and protection for the chest and breasts.
It’s important to choose a chest protector that fits well and provides adequate protection for your level of play and position. Consult with a lacrosse equipment specialist or coach for guidance on selecting the right chest protector for you.
What are the key features to consider while selecting a lacrosse chest protector?
When selecting a lacrosse chest protector, here are the key features that you should consider:
Size: Buying the right size is essential. Too small size can compromise protection, while too big size can reduce mobility. Make sure to measure your chest size and refer to the manufacturer’s size chart before making a purchase.
Mobility: Choose a chest protector that allows freedom of movement. A rigid chest protector can hinder your movement, and you might find it challenging to move your arms.
Breathability: Lacrosse is a physically demanding game, and players sweat a lot. Choose a chest protector that has breathable and moisture-wicking material to keep you cool and dry.
Protection: A good chest protector should provide maximum protection against impacts. Make sure the chest protector covers your chest, back, and shoulders correctly.
Comfort: Comfort is essential while playing lacrosse. Choose a chest protector that fits snugly and comfortably, and does not cause any irritation or chafing.
Price: Chest protectors come in a vast range of prices. Set a budget before you begin your search and stick to it as much as possible.
How long should a lacrosse chest protector last?
The lifespan of a lacrosse chest protector depends on the frequency of use, the level of play, and how well it is maintained. On average, a lacrosse chest protector can last up to 3 to 4 years if well taken care of and not subjected to extreme wear and tear.
How do you maintain your lacrosse chest protector?
Proper maintenance will extend the life of your lacrosse chest protector. Here are some tips to follow:
After every use, wipe down the chest protector with a damp cloth.
Let the chest protector air dry completely before storing it.
Avoid exposing the chest protector to direct sunlight or moisture.
Do not machine wash or dry the chest protector.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your lacrosse chest protector lasts longer and continues to provide maximum protection and comfort during play.
In conclusion, when choosing the right lacrosse chest protector, there are several factors to consider, including size, mobility, breathability, protection, comfort, and price. By doing your research and taking into account your personal needs and playing style, you can make an informed decision that will keep you safe and protected during play.